Today is National Toasted Marshmallow Day. In a couple of weeks we'll be on our way to our last camping trip of the season, and I plan to be well-prepared with marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate! As I was reading about the origin of National Toasted Marshmallow Day, I came up empty, but did manage to find a variety of S'mores recipes that piqued my interest.
S'mores are a staple for our camping menus, but I've always kept my recipe simple and traditional: top a graham cracker with a mini Hershey chocolate bar and a freshly toasted marshmallow (I like mine charred). Top with another graham cracker and smash. Bon Appetit!
After reviewing quite a few variations, I'm convinced I must venture out into the great unknown of s'mores, and try one of these gourmet alternates:
- Use a Reese's peanut butter cup instead of Hershey's chocolate and add banana slices
- Replace the graham crackers with ginger snap cookies, and use a caramel filled chocolate instead of the Hershey's.
- Add coconut flavor by replacing the Hershey's chocolate with a mounds bar.
- Add sliced strawberries to the traditional chocolate and marshmallow mix.
- Spread graham crackers with Nutella instead of a chocolate bar and add banana slices.
If you have other ideas or recipes you've made, let us know with a comment.
Have a happy day!
Post a Comment
Feel free to chime in. We love comments!