Anyway, I came across the recipe in my file and pulled it out to be sure to make it now. And with that, I also thought it's a great recipe to share with you.
|Recipe was adapted from Allrecipes.com|
- 1 lb. bulk Italian sausage (I use mild, and if you buy links, remove the casings)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 16 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups zucchini
- 8 ounces tortellini pasta
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- In a 5 quart dutch oven, brown the sausage.
- Remove sausage from pan and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings.
- Saute onions and garlic in reserved drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from the soup if needed. Stir in zucchini and parsley.
- Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Enjoy with crusty Italian bread!
Have a happy day!