I asked my husband, Ken, to weigh in on the discussion, and although beer, pretzels, and chocolates are considered a staple in our kitchen; as gifts go, he felt these items are much too ordinary to be given as a gift. The idea of receiving something innovative, or something he wouldn't think to buy for himself is much more appealing.
I've actually known this about him for quite awhile, with all of our planning around what to include in our gift collections for men. So with 21 days remaining until Christmas, if you're stumped for what to get the man in your life, here are our top picks. Some versions you can find in our store; others are just great ideas to help you finalize your shopping list!
1. Man Bag – I bought a great Tumi bag for Ken last Christmas and he loves it. Men hate bulky pockets, and with today’s use of mobile devices, sunglasses, flash drives, in addition to money, IDs and credit cards, pockets are no longer sufficient for holding all of his stuff! There are many great stylish bags for men out there, and although he may never ask for one, if he gets one, he will love it, brag to his friends about it, and never leave home without it.
2. Bath and body products for men – It’s the new age of soap on a rope! He may not seek out specialty shave cream, or pay a premium for skin lotion, but once he tries it, he’ll be hooked (and so will you).
3. Candles – Candles come in so many fragrances, and masculine style fragrances are becoming more and more prominent. Fresh cut grass, the scent of a campfire, and worn leather are just some examples of new fragrances for men.
4. Something inspirational – Whether for home or office, a framed inspirational quote or picture will keep him reminded of what's important in life. Find something that moves him – inspiring words, values or a wonder of nature will lift his spirit.
5. Hobby gifts – Whether he loves travel, music, or the great outdoors, look for gifts related to his passion. A coffee table book, a DVD series, an unusual styled map or globe would be unique and something he is not likely to buy for himself.
6. Food – Rather than those staple foods mentioned above, if you like the idea of a food gift, choose a few of his favorite foods and make a special meal. If you’re not a cook, get take-out and set it up like a home cooked meal! Prepare the table for a special occasion with a table cloth or elegant place mats. Use cloth napkins with napkin rings to dress it up. Your attention to detail will not go unnoticed.For unique gift ideas for men, you might consider one of our collections, such as those pictured here.
Whatever you choose for the man in your life, whether husband, boyfriend, brother, or buddy, don't be ordinary. Make it something that will pleasantly surprise him.
Have a happy day!