Anyway, this being only our third date, I was still in "impress him" mode, and I knew this recipe would do the trick. I was always a big fan of banana bread, and the thought of adding chocolate chips made it irresistible!
Here you go. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (this is key to the moistness)
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I prefer Hershey's and throw in a few extra)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Stir in the mayonnaise and bananas. Stir together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Blend the flour mixture into the banana mixture; stir just enough to evenly combine. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 50 to 75 minutes.