The flavor of seasonings with tomatoes and onions permeates the fish very well, and serving it in the sauce gives added flavor to each forkful. Serve it with a rice dish or couscous, and a side of fresh seasoned veggies. Fabulous!
Savory Tomato Braised Tilapia
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt (I just used sea salt)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (I used chopped fresh tomatoes instead, which I highly recommend)
- 3/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers (these can be skipped if you're in a pinch and don't have them on hand)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
1. Sprinkle fillet with salt; drizzle with lemon juice.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion; cook and stir until tender. Add the next six ingredients; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes longer.